Saturday, April 5, 2008

Great book for you career climbers!

To all those career climbers, I want to recommend a book I found extremely insightful. "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office" gives you 101 unconscious mistakes women make to sabotage their careers. It pretty short and an easy read. I found I do a lot of things that I should consciously stop doing. Here are my top 4:

1. Wanting everyone to like you
2. Failing to capitalize on relationships
3. Speaking softly
4. Sitting on your foot (Yes I do this because it's comfortable. But apparently it gives the impression that you are little girl rather than a professional woman. Makes sense.)

It really points out things we as women do that may be percieved as weaker to the opposite sex. And I just found out that it's being made into a t.v. series! Not bad for a self help book!

1 comment:

Lady Lawrence said...

Seems like a great read. I'll have to check it out. To comment on your top 4:
(1) I learned a long time ago that everyone doesn't have to like me and I don't have to like everyone. You'll run into a lot of devious and phony people with that attitude. Be real.
(2) Relationships that you see as worthwhile, you’ve got to go after them. Whether it be with friends or partners. I love you girls, regardless of the lack of time we spend together. I would fight tooth and nail for you. I know that once we all get our lives where we wanna be, it’ll be all good. “Girlfriends” or “Sex and the City” lives here we come! With men, it’s kind of the same. I mean I’m with a man who told me flat out that I would never be his girlfriend. I saw what he didn’t see at the time, but does now. I waited and I prayed. There was a lot a lying around with my pillow full of tears, but I saw what was mine and I went after it. “In your patience, possess ye your souls.” Luke 21:19
(3) I don't think I'm very soft spoken unless it's a subject I'm not that knowledgeable about.
(4) I sit on my feet too....I sit in the fetal position all the time! Guess I'll have to cut that out.