Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Song yet Sung


I just finished James McBride's new book Song yet Sung. Its a gritty novel based in the antebellum south about a slave who has visions of the future. On one hand, she wants to stop struggling for freedom because the visions she has not hopeful. She sees music videos, drugs, shootings... a lot of the negative images that she doesn't understand. But she comes to know that her existence is vital to the future. It's an emotional and inspiring novel of survival. I definitely recommend.

4 comments:

B said...

Sounds almost kinda sorta like "Kindred" by Octavia Butler. Which is one of my favorite books ever. I may definitely need to check this out.

cynicaloptimist said...

I love "Kindred" too! It's actually in the my top five.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

i collect s. african wine, any who with that said, my home girl told me i should make it a read. maybe u can read one of my books one day, too bad i just stumbled this way or i would have invited u to my book release part last night at the M bar. have a greeat weekend and do chk me out one day

Anonymous said...

I also just finished this book, and wrote a review for my blog that I'll post tomorrow. I think just as she realized her existense was so important and denied herself "freedom" in the North, we have to look back and envision the opportunities those living in Liz's time would cherish today. Get a slave mentality!

http://sethandray.wordpress.com