Sunday, April 6, 2008

Living life on the bright side

Why do I describe myself as a cynical optimist?

Because I choose to believe that the best will happen. BUT I'm very aware that the worst could and that people are innately selfish and contemptuous. But I choose to believe that good will prevail. I believe happiness itself is a choice.

On a good note, it appears that people who are optimists live longer--about 19% longer than people that are pessimists. That's a long time when we're talking about lifespan!

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50849

4 comments:

Lady Lawrence said...

Same here. Happiness is a choice. Everything we do in life is a choice....it's the power that God gave us as His children. What happens is ultimately for the best, although it may not seem so at the time. Bad things happen and they suck, but you’ll never know how good it feels to come out of a storm if you’ve never been through one. People always say, “Life is short.” Well, life is LONG and you have to deal with the messed up decisions that you make. So choose to live. Choose to live right. Your attitude determines your altitude!

cynicaloptimist said...

You're right. And who wants to go through life grumbling about every little thing? Not me.

Gustav said...

The key line in the article linked to your blog entry is:

"The most effective people combine the can-do enthusiasm of the optimist with the early warning system of the pessimist. The trick is learning when and how to adjust your point of view".

And its that trick of adjusting that point of view that may make us "wise" over time.....

Thanks for stopping by my blog.Your blog is like a fresh spring breeze....

Laney said...

Ohh...good to know. Will you take care of my family when I die before you?