Sunday, April 13, 2008

Trash your television!

No not literally...but try turning it off awhile. By default, I do have a T.V. but I don't have cable because I've been too lazy to get it installed. But did you know that average American watches 4.5 hours of t.v. a day, which equates to roughly 32 hours a week! Think about what you could be doing during that time! Now I know you've heard people say turn off the T.V. and start living, but that exactly how I feel. Since I've been without cable, I:

1. Exercise more (no couch potato here)
2. Read more
3. Sleep better (no more falling asleep with the t.v. on!)
4. Spend less $$ (I'm not as persuaded by the slick marketing ads)
4. Have an overall better sense of well-being. Since I stopped filling my head with all the mindless crap they show (i.e. reality shows, even the news at times), my head feels clearer and I'm more focused. I come to my own conclusions without being influenced by outside sources.

Now I do rent movies because I appreciate well made films. But I think there's a difference between being hooked on good movies and being hooked on Dancing with the Stars. This is not to say that I don't sometimes slip in my sister's room and watch a show or two with her because I did grow up on T.V., its just that afterward I feel like it was such a waste of time. So as a recommendation to all, I suggest turning your television off, embracing the silence, and doing all those things you've been meaning to do for so long. I guarantee you'll find yourself happier!

6 comments:

B said...

I'm with you. I own a television but I haven't had cable in 2 years. I blog and read more and doubt that I'll get cable anytime soon. Not having it so liberating.

Great post!

Sheeka Strickland said...

Well, still watch the news :(

cynicaloptimist said...

Divine Blackness-Liberating! That's exactly what I was trying to say! Thanks for stopping by.

Sheeka-I get a lot of my news from the internet. But if my favorite reporter (other than T.J. Holmes) is on, then I'm definitely watching! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Impressive. I'm addicted to television. Maybe if I quit cold turkey, I wouldn't feel like this:

http://elizabethlaney.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/real-housewives-of-nyc-finale/

Unknown said...

Was this directed at me? :)

Eb the Celeb said...

Dang... I dont think I can fall asleep without the tv on. I use that sleep button like its my life... but definitely good stuff here!