Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Is America Ready?

An article today says that 76% of the country believe America is ready for a black president. The interesting part is of those surveyed, 78% of whites believe the country is ready, while 69% of blacks believe the country is ready. Of the blacks, that optimism is higher among males than females.

Alot of that skeptism can be attributed to life experiences of blacks...which makes sense. Yet I wonder why females are more skeptical than males? Does that mean we are more doubtful and suspicious of the world than our male counterparts? Do we not give the world enough credit? Should we? Hmmm

I think the country is ready.

You can read the article here:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/03/poll.black.president/index.html#cnnSTCText?iref

5 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

amerikkka will never be ready, until the mind set dies. Nice blog hon, just driving b do stop by my spot if and when u can. and if u in the atl, i have a book release party april 24 at M Bar on peters street from 7 to 10, so take this and acept my invite pls

Gustav said...

I could be wrong but I believe women are just a bit more realistic than men.

Sheeka Strickland said...

I think purely because of the timing of this poll, those surveyed made their answers based on the current democratic primary.
The article also said fewer people feel that this country is ready for a female president. I don't think this is realistic. I think the poll reveals more personal feelings about Hillary Clinton, rather than if they feel a woman can lead this nation.
I think usually a candidate that wins the presidency is charismatic, personable, and somewhat attractive (not saying I'm attracted to any past presidents)! John Kennedy had mass appeal. More Americans wanted to sit down and have a beer with George Bush over John Kerry. I believe Hillary Clinton is a brilliant woman, but she lacks that personable character trait, which her husband has. This makes me wonder, are women like Hillary Clinton and Katie Couric (which I heard on the news this morning may be leaving CBS News soon because of poor ratings) facing the ultimate glass ceiling? I've gone completely off topic, but my two cents are I think America is ready for any kind of minority to lead this country, but first they must connect on a seemingly personal level with Americans from several backgrounds.

cynicaloptimist said...

I think you bring up a really great point Sheeka. Why else would a male DUI cheerleader (Bush) beat a war hero in the last presidential election? As you said, people can see themselves having a beer with him.

I wish Hillary the best, because she is making history. But I can see why other people wouldn't think she was personable.

cynicaloptimist said...

Gustav--I must agree. I think women are realists when it comes to topics such as these.